"As tennis players, we work and we sacrifice many things. To lose, that’s not a happy thing – I mean sure, I was disappointed. You have to come back strong. But to win the last point in a grand slam tournament, that’s the most beautiful and most satisfying feeling you can get as a tennis player. It’s worth it." - Bjorn Borg
Athletes are extremely competitive. They are also very dedicated when it comes to honing their craft which they do through long hours of practice and time in the gym. All of this applies to professional tennis players who have to go through radical training and heart-breaking defeats. Somehow their losses become fuel for their fire and they train even harder with hopes not to lose again.
For these players, professional tennis coaches are key to their ongoing success, but the irony is that even for those who are learning how to play tennis, a coach is important.
So if you are looking for tennis lessons for beginners, you are probably wondering how to go about finding an instructor or tennis classes near you. If so, keep reading as this article is for you.
The Advantages of Taking Tennis Classes
If you want to learn tennis, regardless of your age or ability, you could take tennis lessons for beginners and start to reap the benefits of all that it can do to improve your skills, health and social life.
So if you are searching tennis lessons Pretoria, here are a few of the benefits you can look forward to:
- A Social Sport: Whether you’re playing singles or doubles, you always have someone around. Between games, you can chat and of course, enjoy a drink afterwards. Many clubs have comfortable clubhouses and plan social events throughout the year. Learning how to play tennis is a great way to connect with people and create new friendships.
- A Life-Time Sport: When you learn tennis you have the potential of signing up for life. Unlike some sports that can only be played when you are young and strong like rugby or soccer, tennis can be enjoyed for your whole life. There are many tennis players who are able to play well into their 70’s and 80’s.
- A Great Stress Reliever: These days most people lead stressful lives. One way to alleviate that is to exercise and take part in sport. When we run, swim or gym, we still have the ability to let our minds run wild with all that is on our to-do lists, however, when we play tennis, the mind is so focused on the game that it is able to get a proper break.
There are many other benefits to learning how to play tennis, but the best thing we can do is help you refine your tennis lessons Pretoria search so that you can find the right coach and tennis lessons for beginners as soon as possible.
The Best Clubs to Learn Tennis in Pretoria
Whether you're a beginner, intermediate, or advanced player, there will always be room for improvement on the tennis court. To keep becoming a stronger player, you will need to practise and take tennis classes, preferably with a personal coach.
If you’re searching tennis lessons Pretoria, there are a few clubs that may come up in your search that are worth checking out.
It’s very important to feel comfortable and ‘at home’ at a tennis club, one way to make sure of this is to visit as many as you can as a guest before committing to one as a member. Whether you take your coach to your club or go to theirs for tennis classes, either way, you will need a club. Why not start with these recommendations?
- Pretoria Country Club: As one of the city’s premium clubs, the Pretoria Country Club is located next to a beautiful lake. It is also surrounded by rolling lawns and boasts six all-weather courts that are in pristine condition. This magnificent setting is further enhanced by the wonderful bird and flower life that adds to the charming environment. Furthermore, you can make the most of the Highveld climate and take lessons or play matches well into the night during summer on one of the six floodlit courts.
- Brooklyn Tennis Club: If you want to learn tennis then this friendly, small club is the perfect place to support your journey. The Brooklyn Tennis Club, which was voted as Club of the Year for 1999 currently has about 150 players of all ages and stages of their tennis careers. It also welcomes new members to play on its six tennis courts, three of which are available for evening tennis because of floodlights. It also has a wonderful social scene and boasts great facilities. Included in these are a recently refurbished lapa, boma and clubhouse.
Learn Tennis with a Pretoria based Superprof Coach
Taking tennis lessons for beginners in a group is an excellent way to hone your skills and improve your game. However, it is also worth noting that the benefits of one-on-one coaching with a private instructor are almost incomparable in terms of your expected results.
Another decision you will have to make regarding how you learn tennis is whether you will take tennis classes with a club coach who is assigned to you, or whether you choose your private instructor from a tutoring website like Superprof.
For decades it has seemed that the only option to take tennis lessons for beginners was to join a club and use their coach. However, this has changed and it is not only far easier to find an accredited private tennis coach, you can choose someone who is a good personality fit for you too.
For instance, when you use the Superprof site, instead of doing a random tennis lessons Pretoria search, you can even use the platform’s location tool to see if there is a tennis coach situated near to you.
But that’s not the only benefit. Besides having the peace of mind that the credentials of all coaches have been pre-verified, in most cases you will also have the option of a free starter lesson. This is an excellent opportunity to find out more about their tennis and coaching experience, and establish whether or not you think you are a good personality fit.
Even if there is not someone near to you in Pretoria, on Superprof, you will find hundreds of tennis coaches from all over South Africa and even other places in the world with whom you can learn tennis.
Besides, the internet has made learning anything new, more than possible these days. It should, therefore, not be surprising that you could even find online tennis classes if you needed them.
To successfully team up with a virtual tennis coach, you will need the internet, a computer and webcam as well as Google Meet, Zoom or other video conferencing software. It might sound counter-intuitive, but a good online tennis coach will have many ingenious methods to help improve your game or even help you to learn tennis from scratch.
If affordability is a concern, then finding online tennis classes is a good option.
Whether you go with an online or in-person tennis coach, there are many advantages to using a coach from Superprof:
- Affordable pricing
- Flexibility in terms of schedules and locations
- The possibility of learning how to play tennis at a court near you
- Excellent support staff to answer questions
- Reviews on tutors and coaches by past students
- A free introductory lesson
- The ability to compare multiple tutors and coaches on one platform
- Peace of mind in knowing that tutor credentials are verified
If you use Superprof to learn tennis in South Africa, your average fee will be around R219 per lesson and you can count on coaches coming back to you within 24 hours.
Finally, don’t ever underestimate choosing a coach who feels like the right personality fit for you. Having a good rapport with a coach or tutor is highly underestimated as one of the key factors that make private teaching successful for the student and rewarding for the coach. So why not give up on your broad internet search for tennis lessons Pretoria and go straight to Superprof?
The platform that connects private tutors and students