I LOVE teaching young people, teenagers and adults - anyone who wants to learn. My teaching style is firm but open and friendly. I LISTEN first, we share thoughts and ideas and then I teach you what you need to know. Expect to be challenged and to think - solve problems and to discover answers and outcomes as we journey together.
I am a passionate teacher, tutor and facilitator with 21 years experience in sharing my knowledge, skills and life lessons in English, Drama, Oral Communications, Teacher Training and Life Orientation/ Life Skills. Communication, sharing ideas, collaborating and inspiring are the keys to success.
Grade 12 and Adults: R 250 per hour also with first 30 minute lesson free.
Lower grades: R 220 per hour also with first 30 minute lesson free.
First lesson will consist of a verbal Needs Analysis.
• Dramatic Arts & Communications teacher, Skills Facilitator with 20+ years’ experience
• English and Life Orientation teacher
• TEFL Teacher Trainer and Marker for The TEFL Academy
• Highly experienced & tactful negotiator across departments and facilities’ co-ordinators, from high level management through various ranks including artisans and labourers
• Extremely well-adept written communicator of presentations and production features/ articles
• 11+ years’ experience organising, co-ordinating, designing, controlling finances, directing plays & musicals and arranging VIP functions for a wide variety of productions from Fugard to A. L. Webber
• Possess comprehensive working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
Please refer to page 2 for a very detailed explanation of work experience
Jan 2003 to
Thomas More College Kloof, South Africa
Dramatic Arts, English and Life Orientation Teacher
2017 – current
The TEFL Academy, (Everything TEFL LTD), Ireland Durban, South Africa
Trainer and Assignment Grader/ Marker
Helen O’Grady Children’s Drama Academy Durban, South Africa
Speech & Drama Teacher
1999 – 2001
Juliet McCully School Of Language & Communications Singapore
Speech & Drama and Oral Communications Teacher
1997 – 1998
Mr & Mrs McHale London, UK
1991 – 1997
South African Post Office Highway Area, KZN
Teller, Staff Trainer & Customer Services Advisor
Licentiate Teachers Diploma: Effective Communication
Trinity College, London, UK
Post-Graduate Certificate in Education: Drama & English
UKZN, Durban, KZN
Licentiate Teachers Diploma: Speech & Drama
Trinity College, London, UK
TEFL Certificate TEFL
Teacher Training International, London, UK
1989 – 1991
National Diploma: Performing Arts
Durban University of Technology, KZN
Queensburgh Girls’ High School, KZN
• Highly organised
• Professional demeanour
• Valuable team-player and proficient independent employee
DETAILS OF WORK EXPERIENCE:
Subject Head & Teacher (South Africa)
• Attend Academic meetings
• Attend Regional (Cluster) meetings
• Organise & chair departmental meetings
• Take & distribute minutes of meetings
• Manage budget & monitor expenditure (including keeping up-to-date records)
• Manage & monitor departmental yearly work scheme and goals
• Organise & meet administration requirements (eg: order stationery, order photocopied notes)
• Organise & manage Costume Department including loaning of costumes (internally for teachers & pupils and externally to past pupils & parents)
• Organise & co-ordinate all Drama Department Functions & Productions
(2 major & 2 minor)
✓ Book venue for rehearsals & performances, including submitting plans for venue set-up and seating arrangements
✓ Conduct several auditions
✓ Draw up & distribute rehearsal schedules. Conduct all rehearsals.
✓ Design costumes & make-up and arrange make-up artists & seamstresses if necessary
✓ Contact photographer & arrange a photo shoot
✓ Publicity – contact local newspapers and arrange for a journalist to visit rehearsals as well as submit photographs and publicity “blurb” to newspapers. Submit mini-advert for internal newsletter
✓ Design, type, print & distribute VIP invitations; book venue & organise VIP cocktail party
✓ Order float, interval refreshments and organise ushers and front-of-house personnel
✓ Design tickets, arrange for printing & submit booking plan to secretary
✓ Design & type out programme; send for photocopying
✓ Organise & manage backstage technical crew (sound & lighting technicians & stage hands)
✓ Design set; arrange & monitor set building and making/ sourcing of props
✓ Manage & monitor financial expenditure
✓ Set-up foyer display according to production requirements
✓ Open each performance with a welcome speech
✓ Write the annual magazine article
• Daily registration of pupils, distribute newsletters, communicate various daily notices
• Organise & book teaching venues
• Book theatre outings; arrange & co-ordinate traveling requirements
• Internal & external customer liaisons – management, colleagues, parents – telephonically, via e-mail and face-to-face
• Research, develop & plan teaching materials & aids
• Teach & facilitate learning according to pupil requirements
• Monitor, record & communicate pupil progress and development (academically, socially & extra-murally including providing pastoral care when required)
TEFL Trainer/ Facilitator and Assignment Grader/ Marker (South Africa) [Part-time]
• To deliver 20 hours of face-to-face TEFL training for students
• To assess students’ ability to teach within a classroom environment
• To assess and grade the TEFL assignments of students-in-training, allocating Pass, Merit, Distinction
Speech & Drama and Oral Communications Teacher (Singapore)
Enrichment Centre Ages: 4 to 10 years
Subjects: Speech & Drama (including English Speaking
Board Exam preparation)
The Children’s Place Ages: 2 to 6 years
(Pre-school) Subjects: Movement and Speech & Drama
Primary Schools Ages: 7 and 8 years
Subjects: Speech, Drama & Performance Poetry
Secondary Schools Ages: 13 to 15 years
Subjects: Speech & Drama, Oral Communication
and Public Speaking
Adults Speech Training, Communication and Presentation Skills
Throughout the three years I was also involved in on-going Course writing for both internal and external courses offered at the Enrichment Centre.
Staff Trainer & Customer Services Advisor (middle management)
• Facilitate In-Service Adult training (new & existing employees):
✓ Customer Care
✓ Product Knowledge
✓ Quality, Zero Tolerance & Problem-solving Workshops
✓ “On-the-job” teller training
• Attend Regional (Cluster) meetings
• Internal & external customer liaisons – management, colleagues, customers – telephonically and face-to-face
• Relieved colleagues (on annual leave) in the following positions:
These positions involved the following: receiving, allocating and managing incoming & outgoing teller’s counter stock and cash/ cheque takings; balancing the office books daily and monthly; managing tellers and back office staff; supervising incoming and outgoing mail; daily banking; customer care & liaisons – especially queries – telephonically & face-to-face; receiving Pension monies and either supervising or personally paying these out; locking & unlocking the office.
NOTE: the following job is not listed on my Resume page. It lasted 6 – 8 weeks in London after I gave up my position as Nanny and before I returned to South Africa for Christmas (1998).
Receptionist/ Office Administrator
(in London I worked for an Employment Agency called Sharestaff) )
• Answer telephones and explain various job opportunities
• Assist “walk-in” applicants to complete application forms, photocopy passports, file according to availability & work experience
• Compile Excel spreadsheets detailing applicants’ basic information and their work history for our Agency
• Hand out payslips
• Make tea/ coffee for our managers
A bubbly and fun teacher who always brings the classroom to life! Such a passionate and inspiring individual who absolutely loves what she does!
Tanya taught me drama for the entirety of my high school career. She was a patient, hard-working, kind and devoted teacher. It was an absolute privilege to have been taught by her; she is a teacher I shall never forget.
Tanya is an excellent tutor with so much passion and love for her students.
Tanya is an incredible dedicated and sincere tutor and teacher; her focus is on the development of learning experience and she creates an enriching journey through her teaching. No question is to small or simple, and she engages purposefully with every lesson. Thank you for enriching my life as a student and a teacher.
I have known Tanya for over 30 years. She is consistent, reliable, knowledgeable, caring, and passionate about helping others. An excellent teacher and amazing friend!
Tanya was my Drama teacher in high school and took one of the most enthusiastic approaches to her classes. She always gave 110% and remains my most memorable and favorite teacher.
Highly committed educator, will always give 110% to her job and to those she teaches. An asset to any school or establishment. A more committed and loyal person you'll not find.
english lessons nearby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest esol (english) lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, dramatic art lessons for all!
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||R220|
|5 hours||Not available||Not available||R1100|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||R2200|