I use the Communicative Method when teaching all World Languages, offering practice and expertise in the areas of Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking. I am the Author of "Paris is a Jigsaw Puzzle", a French reader and practice manual for intermediate level students.
I am a professionally licensed Teacher of World Languages (French, Spanish, German, Latin), an Author of the French reader, 'Paris is a Jigsaw Puzzle'. I bring to you several decades of teaching and learning experience. I can offer help with all aspects of language learning, your reading, writing, listening and speaking, using the Communicative Method. I look forward to working with you! --JL
There is a 24 hour advanced-notice cancellation policy for all lessons/sessions.
EDUCATION: New York University, New York City
M.A., German Studies & Philosophy; September, 1998.
Universität zu Köln, Cologne, Germany
Course work toward M.A., German Studies; Sept. ‘93-Feb., ‘95.
Tufts University, Medford MA
Course work toward Massachusetts Teaching Certificate; Jan.-Dec., 1989.
Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT
B.A., French Literature, Fine Arts minor; June, 1985.
Wesleyan Program in Paris, Reid Hall
Université de Créteil, Paris XII, Sept. ‘83-May ‘84.
LICENSURE: NY State Professional Teaching License for French, Grades 7-12.
EXPERIENCE: Apple Village Arts, Inc, New York, NY
Founder, Director, Instructor
• Instructor of Afterschool Studio Art Classes, March, 2010-present.
Boys’ Club of New York, New York, NY
High School Access Tutor, Feb. ’18 to present.
City Polytechnic High School, Brooklyn, NY
Teacher of French I, German I, Spanish I & II and Latin I; Sept. ’10-‘11
•Implemented PowerSpeak online courses in the classroom, daily.
Newburyport High School, Newburyport, MA
Teacher of Spanish I and German I, II, III, Grades 9-12; August 2007-June, 2009.
• Co-directed the German American Partnership Program (GAPP); organized and chaperoned field trips.
New York City Board of Education, New York, NY
Teacher of French, Spanish, and Studio Art, Grades 6-10; 2004-2007.
• Created/implemented the first Studio Arts curriculum, “2-Dimensional Art”.
New York University, New York, NY
McCracken Scholar; Teaching Assistant. Dep’t of French; Sept. ‘02-May ‘03.
• Worked as Instructor of French I for two undergraduate classes per semester.
• Participated in Teacher Training and Evaluation Program.
CUNY/ Queens College, Queens, NY
Adjunct Professor of German, Spring Semester, 2002.
Goethe Institut-InterNationes, New York, NY
Language Program Officer, April-August, 2001.
• Managed Goethe Institute Language Examinations.
• Maintained contacts with AATG Administrators, the German Consulate, and the German Information Center.
Modern Language Association, New York, NY
German Language Bibliographer, freelance; Sept.-Dec., 2000.
• Read and summarized literary journal articles in German.
New York University, New York, NY
Instructor of German; Dep’t of German; Sept, 1997-May, 1998.
• Worked as a Graduate Student Instructor of German I to Undergraduates using the Communicative Method.
• Taught cultural aspects of German with “The Germans“ by Craig Gordon.
• Participated in the Teacher Training Program.
Carl-Duisberg Gesellschaft, Cologne, Germany
Teacher of English to Bayer Corp. employees & families; April, ‘94-Jan.,‘95.
• Traveled to suburban towns to provide English language and conversation instruction to German families in their homes.
• Selected, purchased materials/ books to tailor lessons to the needs of students.
Shady Hill School, Cambridge, MA
Teacher of French & Studio Art, grades 7-9; Sept. ‘88-Jun., ‘93 & Sept.‘95-Jun. ‘96.
• Created new curricula for grade 8 & 9 French classes.
• Participated in NAIS Conferences.
SKILLS: Knowledge of Microsoft Works, Office and Excel Programs.
LANGUAGES: Fluent French and German; Intermediate Spanish, Latin.
HONORS: MacCracken Scholar, New York University, New York City
Graduate Study of French Literature toward PhD; Sept. 2002-May 2003.
Hugo von Hofmannsthal Foundation Grant
Research on the life & work of Heinrich R. Zimmer; Sept., 2001 & May, 2006.
Shady Hill School Faculty Grant; Cambridge, MA
Summer Study in La Savoie, France; July, 1990.
Mann Prize for Excellence in Romance Languages, Wesleyan U., June, 1985.
PUBLISHED: •CBEV: Coloring Book East Village, Createspace, Amazon.com, Nov., 2017.
•So Far from Story Street: A Novel, AuthorHouse Press, 2013.
• “The Impress of the Teachings of Heinrich Zimmer on C.G. Jung’s
Profession” in Quadrant, XXXXI: 2, Summer, 2011, pp. 25-43. Journal of the NY
Analytical Psychology Foundation. (concealed information)
• “Cultural Differences: Reflections of a New England Educator in Chancellor
Rau’s Rhineland”, in Impressions, Newburyport Educators’ Journal; May, 2009.
•Paris est un Casse-Tête chinois/ Paris is a Jigsaw Puzzle, self-published, 1992.
References available upon request.
french (fle) lessons nearby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest oral expression - french lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral comprehension - french lessons for all!
Taking written comprehension - french lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||R739|