- Hourly rate R160
- Response time 2h
- Number of students 1
1st lesson free!
Get yourself a Wits graduate as your tutor for Maths in Johannesburg; soon to be a X2 Wits graduate! It doesn't get better than that !
- At the tutor's house
About the lesson
I have grown to understand and realise that students or learners are different and cannot thus be treated the same and expect the same results. And one thing that drove me to be a tutor, beyond my love for sharing the information that I have and my love for Math, was how I noticed that in high school opportunities for extra classes were only given to well performing students. The A students. And I always wondered what about the rest, what about the average student who has the potential to be an A student, or what about the underperforming learner who also has the potential to do well.
So with that, I like to take the first few sessions getting to know and understand my learners. What kind of learners they are, how are they performing at school and what are the factors that contribute to their performance such as family background, personality etc. This helps me to understand and know in what ways I can better assist each learner in their different levels.
I believe that learners learn far much better when they engage. So in my sessions I like to create a safe environment where learners feel safe and comfortable to also engage in the lesson.
I follow a quite simple methodology but I do of course structure it according to each learner's need:
1. Find out from the learner what they know and understand about that particular topic. Where do they struggle and why do they struggle.
2. From there, pick up where they lack. And then spend time explaining and breaking down the concept to the learner in the arrears where they struggle, correct the misconceptions, and try to solidify the correct knowledge they already have.
3. Then ask a few questions to see if the learner is following. And also give them an opportunity to contribute.
4. Give activities and mark them with the learner. This is because I want to evaluate if the learner truly does understand, especially why they got wrong the questions they got wrong.
5. I like to reward my learners for doing well as this encourages them to keep putting in the effort so that the experience is pleasant for the both of us.
I am a Wits student soon to be graduating from my Bachelor of Accounting Sciences Degree. Although I didn't ger to do much of Math throughout my degree but I fell in love with Math in High School and have since tutored Math since from my 1st year until now. I have been a tutor at The Assist for 3 years, from 2018 to 2020, tutoring Math, Physics and Accounting to grade 10-12. I am also part of Transition, a tutoring program as well that I joined late last year, in August 2020 to do online tutoring as The Assist was a bit struggling to go online. I am tutoring Math and Physics to grade 10-12. I was actually recommended to Transition by the manager of The Assist because of my hard work and dedication.
- 5h: R800
- 10h: R1600